Saturday, September 26, 2009

What to Work on Next

Testing, 1, 2, 3, the missiles are flying. My first post is a cod liver oil pill to be choked down before I begin to do what I fear I must do next. Lemons from lemonade - we'll explore the current situation and propose a maxim.

Suppose, like me, you're a programmer/developer/contractor/ISV who has the occasional luxury of choosing what task to work on, and that we like our profession, even find it extremely engaging at times - here's the maxim:


• if you're thinking about it in the shower - you must work on it

..or while exercising, or trying to sleep... even, alas, if it's a banal consulting assignment working with unfashionable technology; somehow it's driving your stray thoughts and must be purged before you can effectively return to those pursuits judged more important/interesting/(dare i say it:lucrative!) by your conscious mind.

I have my own business, two modestly profitable products, a promising product in early construction, an open-sourced creation for two platforms, a nascent interest in alternative programming languages, an urge to further explore native/embedded/mobile device products, and a desire to blog/teach/train/proselytize, and what's occupying my stray thoughts right now? A hunk of J2EE middleware to help BigCorp1217 move orders from xml to a dbms!

What could I do, Pancho Villa, he had a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment